Do you want to make a killer toastie, but you don’t have a toastie maker?
No problems! All you need is a pan, some slices of bread, butter and your favorite toppings.
This is how you do it:
- Butter the slices of bread on one side
- Turn half of them upside down so the buttered sides face down
- Add you toppings on these upside-down slices
- Place the other slices, buttered sides facing up, on top of the slices with the toppings
- Preheat a pan, preferably a non-stick or cast iron pan and than add a bit of cooking oil, preferably grapeseed oil
- Grill the toastie on each side for about 3 minutes over mild heat
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips for making a great toastie
The recipe for a toastie a kinda standard the world over.
The difference between a good and a great toastie is in the details.
Here are some tips and tricks for making awesome toasties!
- Butter is your friend. Butter is what causes the crispy brown toast-texture on great toasties. Don’t overdo it with the butter, but don’t be shy as well. With a couple of tries you’ll find you sweet spot of the amount butter you should use with your setup.
- Don’t overheat the pan. That will cause the toastie to brown out and get crispy before the toppings inside can heat up properly.
- If you use cheese (which you should, no toastie should go without cheese) use types that melt easier. Some favorites are Cheddar, Havarti and Colby.
- Use fresh ingredients, it makes a world of difference!
Killer toastie (grilled cheese) recipe
Now if you aren’t interested in just your normal straight-up toastie, try this mouth-watering recipe!
The steps are the same as outlined before, expect you first add a bit of butter and thinly spread peach jam on the side that gets the toppings.
And then cover that surface with the following toppings:
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Grated cheese of another sort, like Havarti
- Slice of ham
- Thinly sliced tomatoes
- Sprinkle of pepper
- Sprinkle of fine Himalayan salt
- Sprinkle of origanum
Complete as in the steps outlined before.
Thank me later!